Good morning, travelers! Today we invite you to join us and Lucila, one of our Travel Agents, in a great visit through some destinations in Peru. On her last trip, she and her friends visited Cuzco, Lima and Machu Picchu, and now that they’re back, they give us the best recommendations to enjoy each of these places to the fullest without leaving anything behind. The tour begins at Lima, capital of Peru and one of the main cities of South America. Although this city is well known for its gastronomic fusion, it is worth mentioning that its ancient Inca archaeological sites, elegant cathedrals and opulent palaces (dating from the times of the Spanish colony) are also major players. Even with the hustle of each city, the prolixity of the streets in Lima’s downtown make it a pleasant city to walk around, exploring the different neighborhoods. The areas next to the beach, and the neighborhoods of Barranco and Miraflores, are the most beautiful. Before moving to the next destination, we must say that the visit to Lima won’t be complete till you try Pisco and fusion cuisine, the most popular and outstanding in Lima.
Cuzco is the second stop in our journey. Lucila tells us “I can not find the words to explain the majesty of this destination, it really has so much to offer!” However, it is very common to hear that travelers only stay for one or two days to connect with the visit to the Citadel of Machu Picchu, and that’s really a shame! Because, this town gathers history, modernity and adventure with a mystique that wraps from the famous “Plaza de Armas” to the most distant places. Every corner of this mountain city has a particular charm, as well as all of its surroundings. You will fill with energy in Moray, discover the impressive architecture of Ollantaytambo and Pisac, enjoy contemporary art, restaurants and nightlife from Monday to Sunday. The availability of great adventure proposals also cathch the attention of the most adventurous: trekking circuits, tours onboard 4×4 vehicles, paragliding, bungee jumping and even more!
* Some points of interest in Cuzco: Ruins of Pisac, Maras or Moray, the Rainbow Mountain (with availability of a trekking circuit of difficult performance), the San Pedro Market, the Plaza de Armas, the Inca Museum, Chincheros and Ollantaytambo. It is also recommended to make the city tour with archaeological visits.
* Some Recommendations: Given that Cuzco is approximately 3500 meters high, we suggest that you take it easy the first day, have light meals and avoid alcohol, to be able to adapt to the altitude. Staying in Sacred Valley, at lower altitudes, can be another way to achieve a good acclimatization. The consumption of natural pills of coca, ginseng, guarana and muña or coca tea, also help acclimatization. Finally, we arrive at the acclaimed destination: Machu Picchu. This Sanctuary hidden between mountains and clouds, full of energy and ancient Inca buildings, is truly a unique and unparalleled place. There are no words to describe the feeling when you climb to the Citadel or the Huayna Picchu and Machu Pichu Mountains. Fortunately, here the altitude is lower than in Cuzco, around 2000 meters high.
To visit Machu Picchu, the advisable thing is to stay in Aguas Calientes, a small town dedicated to the tourism around this wonder. It can be reached by a train that departs from Ollantaytambo or Poroy. We suggest that you catch the train early in the morning, so that you can be able to dedicate a brief visit to the town, or even a night if you are willing to rest from the city. The main square, the craft market and the hot springs are the main attractions of Aguas Calientes, from where also departs the bus that makes the ascent to the Citadel of Machu Picchu. One last recommendation related to how to decide the order of the destinations of this trip: we suggest visiting the ruins around Cuzco before going to Machu Picchu, since its majesty could overshadow the beauty of the other smaller ruins, although equally attractive for their singularity. * It is essential to buy the tickets to the Citadel in advance since the seats are limited and sold out well in advance. If you have enjoyed this article and our recommendations, do not miss out these 3 travel suggestions that include the 3 destinations:
- Wonders of South America: Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru
- Charming South America: Argentina, Brazil and Peru
- Exploring Argentina and Peru
We can also design a tailor-made itinerary for you, including the destinations that you like. Contact us and start traveling! See you soon, on our next edition!